TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: **PICS OF THE FRAME** Thoughts/Experience?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: **PICS OF THE FRAME** Thoughts/Experience?

Posted by pkz293 on December 19, 2018 at 11:13 AM
  This message has been viewed 198 times.

In Reply To **PICS OF THE FRAME** Thoughts/Experience? posted by Waco300zx(DFW) on December 13, 2018 at 04:19 PM

Message That sucks, my condolences. At least you are unscathed.

That is most definitely fixable. Anything is fixable. Of course you want to fix it, but should you? The damage to the rear frame doesnt look terrible, but as woodnutz pointed out above, if pulled and straightened it will never be as strong as factory. Also you must take into consideration that the trunk floor is likely crumpled, the bucket underneath the rear bumper is definitely damaged. You are going to need the entire quarter of the car repaired/replaced. (is there a crease underneath the gas door as well?).
Did the rear crash bar cause force to be applied to the drivers side of the rear and tweak that side as well?

In the front, i'd be willing to bet that the headlight bucket is a bit pushed, definitely no problem to repair though...

Not sure what body shop rates are like down by you, but here in NJ, state farm would probably vote to repair the car (it would be close), but then once the body shop got into it and saw frame damage, the necessary supplements would surely total the car. Up here, i'd bet on about $10,000 of repairs + parts. And it will be a full time job keeping the body shop honest and only doing the best of the best work on such a hecked chassis.

The car will never be the same. If I were in your shoes, I know I would never be able to let the car go. But if you get the 20k agreed value from grundy (not sure how that would play out once state farm totals it) it would be smarter to search for a straight shell, swap all your parts over, and get a full fresh paint job. and you'd still have money left over. Like Barry did! Of course his car was far worse off...

I notice now that this is a 6 day old thread, has anything transpired since your last post?

Some pics of my vert that i purchased sight unseen from Austin, TX which turned out to be a lemon. Frame was badly bent in the front, and poorly repaired. i was already 5 into it to purchase and had connections so i got it fixed for low cost... only to find out that the rear quarter panel on pass side was a half inch of bondo. more work. In the end would have totalled about $17,000 of repairs/materials/parts. The car is still not perfect, and things still don't line up quite right, and I'm still finding evidence of shoddy repairs from the past.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.